HomeHydroelectric PowerPulp & PaperTransportationMiningForestryAlgoma SteelAlgoma Tubes

Algoma Tube Works

The Algoma Tube Works Limited was incorporated pursuant to the laws of Ontario on 28 December 1901. Soon after incorporation, the company acquired the patent for machinery to produce seamless tubing. The plans for the Tube Works were grandiose. Francis H. Clergue, as president of the company, anticipated the construction of blast furnaces, puddling furnaces, rolling mills and, of course, the tube mill. He announced that the tube works building would cover some nine (9) acres of land and that it would be completely powered by electricity provided by the Lake Superior Power Company. Clergue went so far as to hire a superintendent in the person of H. J. Waddie, formerly of the British Mannesmann Tube Company of South Wales.

Although Clergue fully intended to proceed with the construction of the Tube Works, his plans came to an abrupt halt as a result of the financial problems experienced by the Consolidated. As late as 12 November 1901 he wrote to S.V. Huber and Company of Philadelphia advising them that he definitely intended to proceed with the construction project. The appointment of a comptroller and the rigid controls placed on spending resulted in the tube works being placed on hold indefinitely.

The tube works was not part of the reorganization scheme of the new Lake Superior Company. The Company was wound up and Clergue’s plans for a tube works were shelved indefinitely.